What is West Coast Swing?
West Coast Swing is a modern swing dance that has evolved from Lindy Hop and can be danced to most types of popular music, everything from RnB, Hip Hop to Pop and Blues.
What should I wear?
- Comfortable clothes.
- Smooth soled shoes, ideally not rubber as this will be tacky on the floor and we want to take care of our ankles.
- Flat shoes or a heel lower than 2 inches.
What will happen at class?
- No Need to come with a partner
- Solo warm up exercises. Learn and practice our footwork drills.
- Pair up. Put our footwork together - Leaders & Followers. We will rotate at regular intervals so all Leaders-Followers will have danced with each other by the end of the class.
- Music. We'll practice what we've learnt to a mixture of music.
- Learn together. Be supportive and encouraging of your classmates, we're all learning.
- Social dancing is fun. Practice makes perfect, work your drills at home and build muscle memory. Then when you get on the dance floor remember you are there to enjoy yourself.
- Sweaty Betty. Dancing is thirsty work and you'll get warm. I always pack a spare t-shirt so I can freshen up. It's never nice to drip on someone else, or be dripped on.